Posted on

Politicians plan reintroduction of data retention

Merkel to urge eu commission to quickly draft new directive

In france, the twelve-month data retention period that has been in place since 2006 was unable to prevent either the massacre at the charlie hebdo editorial office or the murders of jewish supermarket customers and police officers. Thanks to her, all that is known now is that the fugitive hayat b. Last year huygens made about 500 phone calls to the wife of the assassin cherif kouachi. To what extent this can contribute substantially to finding the truth is an open question. But because both individuals were known extremists, there was no need to monitor the telephone and internet connections of the entire population in any case.

Nevertheless, in the wake of the attacks, german politicians are coming forward with calls for the reintroduction of this tool, which has been halted by the federal constitutional court: thomas strobl, a member of the cdu in baden-wurttemberg (who was surprisingly defeated by the relatively unknown guido wolf in a member poll to select the top candidate for the 2016 state elections late last year) told the mirror in this context, "every day without data retention" be "for the safety of citizens a lost day". According to him, this is not about "total surveillance" or "temposunder" [sic], but around "organized crime, child pornography and terrorism".

In the old data retention laws, however, neither germany nor austria had limited the usability of the stored data to these areas. In practice, it turned out in the alpine republic that out of 354 queries in 2013, not a single one was related to the fight against terrorism. Instead, the authorities investigated suspicions of theft (113 cases), drugs (59 cases), robbery (52 cases), stalking (43 cases), fraud (38 cases) and threats (16 cases).

In the spd, where child nudie picture consumer sebastian edathy was still one of the most ardent supporters of data retention until the end of 2013, bundestag faction leader thomas oppermann, who has been tarnished by the affair, is somewhat more reticent than he was before. He now speaks of "augenmab" and from "frantic actionism", which he does not want. Before reintroducing the directive, oppermann said, the eu commission must present a replacement for its data retention directive, which was condemned by the european court of justice as violating fundamental rights.

Politicians plan reintroduction of data retention

German chancellor angela merkel. Photo: armin linnartz. License: cc by-sa 3.0.

Spd leader sigmar gabriel also calls for such a vote at the european level in the suddeutsche zeitung. With this, the vice chancellor apparently agrees with angela merkel, who yesterday announced in the bundestag that she would now urge the eu commission to implement the announced directive line "to be presented in an accessible way". Because the interior ministers of the federal and state governments are in agreement "agree across party lines" if the new regulations were to be implemented in german law, they could be.

Federal justice minister heiko maas (spd), on the other hand, announced in an interview with deutschlandfunk radio on monday that he considered data retention to be "completely counterproductive", because, among other things, it leads to "more monitoring of press and journalists" continues. With their reintroduction one became therefore "are doing exactly what the terrorists want to do, namely to limit our freedom and the rule of law". Whether he remains after the current auberungen of the chancellor and the spd party leader with this opinion, loved yesterday no longer clear. In his ministry, however, it is considered "hardly imaginable", that after the ruling of the ecj in april 2014, a "unrequested storage of communication data" to be realized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.